I'm very sorry for having to cancel the book chat last week.  It was just one of those weeks when I needed a time-out to regroup.  Things are much better this week.  I'm starting to feel more comfortable and really feeling at home.
It's good to be back.

Photobucket


Okay, I know I wasn't the only little girl who watched Beauty and the Beast and was totally in love with that library he gave her.  They taught us young, love a man who gives you a room full of books.  Ever since that first scene when she sings on the library ladder, I have always wanted a book shelf with a ladder.  If you have so many books that you need a ladder to reach them, you must be doing something right.  Someday, I will have my own personal library.  Someday.

However...for now we are living in Cozy (the adorable apartment needed a name).

To be honest, I'm actually having more fun decorating a small space rather than a large space.  It's not so intimidating.  Large spaces scare me.  One of things I'm worried about though is what to do with all of my books.  We don't have a ton of extra wall space to put big book cases on. (No ladder book shelves here) So, we're having to get creative with our organization.  I've been scouring design books and blogs and coming up with fun ideas.

These are a few of my favorites I've found...

photo source
This adds such a cozy feeling to the room, doesn't it?  Why have I never thought of this?

I'm more free-spirited than my husband.  I have a feeling this would bother him, but I kinda dig it.  It makes the books look like they're actually read and not hidden away in the corner.

photosource
Can we say book shelf envy?  This would be great, but I have no clue how to install something like this.  But it would be lovely, wouldn't it?

I love this couple's tips on Styling a Bookshelf.  They don't have a ton of books on the shelf, but I really love the idea of putting more than books on the book shelf.  I tend to over-fill my book shelves.  If I only put a handful of books on each book shelf, let's be real, I'd need about a hundred book shelves.  (Wouldn't we all?)  But I love their tips on placing some items horizontal and some vertical.  In their book, they mention taking the book sleeves off and showing off the bare spine.  Why didn't I think of that!  That's why they're my favorite design blog.


Books make for great decor.  They're functional, entertaining and make your space look great.  I love the look of a room full of books.  I want a room literally spilling with books.  Walls covered with them. Books on the floor and on chairs and tables.  Books on the windowsill and in the kitchen.  Throw in that library smell and call it home.

What about you?  What does your dream book shelf look like?  Or do you have a book shelf you want to show off?  Any tips for this small-space first-timer?  Link up with me.



I chose not to include a co-host this week.  My internet connection has been, in a word, unreliable.  I didn't want to promise someone the spot, then never come through with details.


Photobucket

To join in...
1. Please follow the host and co-host
2. Visit a few other book chat links and show some support.
3. Link back here in your post.  Or use the button provided.
4. Old posts are always welcome if you have blogged on the topic before.



Upcoming Book Chats...
May 23 - Wartime & Historical books with co-host It's the Journey
May 30 - Cookbooks with co-host Angie Eats Peace